Sabbat Worlds Crusade: 63rd Elchingen Hussars
From the Lexicanum article:
“The Adeptus Mechanicus is a technological organisation, often known as the Priesthood of Mars. It holds a monopoly on technological knowledge in the Imperium. Their Forge Worlds turn out the Imperium’s most powerful and advanced weaponry and equipment. The organisation’s adepts, the Tech-priests, are vital in maintaining much of the Imperium’s more technologically advanced equipment, not the least of which is the Emperor’s life-sustaining Golden Throne.
While the Adeptus Mechanicus is a part of the Imperium, it has developed separately and enjoys a considerable degree of independence. Due to the great amount of power it wields, the Adeptus Mechanicus is more like an allied empire than an organisation within the Imperium. The Adeptus Mechanicus also follows a different religion from the rest of the Imperium. The religion and religious structure of the Adeptus Mechanicus is known as the Cult Mechanicus.
The symbol of the Adeptus Mechanicus is a skull, half-bone and half-machine, set against the background of a black and white cog.
Adepts of the Adeptus Mechanicus are known as tech-priests. Any member of the Cult Mechanicus over the rank of menial will often be referred to as a tech-priest, though Magi and higher ranks are usually referred to by rank.
As befits the religious nature of the Mechanicus, tech-priests usually wear robes, which are usually either rust-red or white. Tech-priests are often cybernetically augmented. The level of a techpriest’s augmentation is highly dependent on his rank within the Cult Mechanicus; a novice may have only one or two augmented systems, if any, while very senior members may have only a few biological organs left in their bodies."
Forge Worlds in the Sabbat Worlds Sector
There are several worlds claimed by the Adeptus Mechanicus in or near the Sabbat Worlds Sector. They are as follows:
- Fortis Binary (heretical Chaos uprising in 765.M41; liberated in 766.M41)
- Neffethyl (fell to Chaos in 723.M41)
- Orestes (techincally in the Khulan Worlds Sector, but successfully defended against a Traitor Titan Legion attack whose aim was to deny Orestes support to the Sabbat Worlds Crusade; attack occurred in 769.M41)
- Urdesh (fell to Chaos in 768.M41)
Role in the Sabbat Worlds Crusade
The Adeptus Mechanicus has two primary roles in the Sabbat Worlds Crusade:
- To manufacture and help distribute (in concert with the Deparmento Munitorum) the supplies, vehicles, and weapons of the Imperial forces, especially the Imperial Guard and planetary defense forces, fighting in the Crusade.
- To provide direct military support to the Crusade, especially in the form of the dread Titan Legions and fearsome Skitarii warriors, as well as other forces (so-called Tech Guard, weaponised servitors, Imperial Knights, etc.).
Small units of Tech-priests are assigned to Imperial Guard regiments to help maintain their equipment, especially vehicles and specialist gear. For example, the 63rd Elchingen Hussars has a detachment to help maintain its pool of Tauros Rapid Assault Vehicles, as well as the Valkyries and other airships of the 455 “Riotous Steeds” Imperial Navy Fighter Wing who ferry the drop troops from battlefield to battlefield. The 63rd’s Adeptus Mechanicus contingent is commanded by Enginseer Primus Kinnear Harcrow. He works closely with his counterpart in the Departmento Munitorum detachment, Adept Primus Inter Pares Feofan Pericles.
Colossal god-machines that are the purest embodiment of the Cult Mechanicus’s understanding of the Omnissiah, these massive weapons of war are the heaviest armour units that the Imperium can field. They are supported by units of weaponised servitors and Skitarii, cyborg serf-warriors who are utterly devoted to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Several Titan Legions from the Collegia Titanica are currently active in the Crusade, though several more may have been involved in smaller engagements currently unknown to High Command. Confirmed units are as follows:
- Legio Absolutum (status: destroyed during the fall of their homeworld, Neffethyl)
- Legio Evasto (homeworld: Fortis Binary)
- Legio Invicta (homeworld: Proximus)
- Legio Nemean (homeworld: Urdesh until it’s fall; they have since temporarily relocated to Fortis Binary)
- Legio Pallidus Mor (homeworld: Tolkhan)
- Legio Tempestus (homeworld: Orestes)
- Legio Xerxes (homeworld: Mars)
It is known that Lord General Bulledin of the Crusade Second Army is fond of Titans, especially after his careful application of the Warlord-class Victrix Impassionata of the Legio Pallidus Mor during the liberation of Nefr City on Sverren in 758.M41. Since then, he has always requested its presence on the battlefields he oversees. There is currently a demio-legio operating on Khan III.